George A. Bekey, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering
and Biomedical Engineering,
Adjunct Professor of Engineering
Recent Research Grants and Contracts
Ph.D. Graduates under George A. Bekey
1. Samuel M. Brainin, "The Estimation of Randomly Varying Parameters in Linear Systems", 1966.(Deceased)
2. Michael J. Merritt, "Synthesis and Identification of Mathematical Models for the Discrete Control Behavior of Human Operators", 1967. Engineer - Qualcomm, San Diego, CA.
3. Louis R. Nardizzi, "Analysis and Synthesis of Discrete-Time Systems with Control Signals of Variable Amplitude and Pulse-Width", 1967. Cardiologist - Private medical practice, Dallas, TX.
4. Anil V. Phatak, "On the Adaptive Behavior of the Human Operator in Response to a Sudden Change in the Control Situation", 1968 (Deceased).
5. Andrew A. Frank, "Automatic Control Systems for Legged Locomotion Machines", 1968. Professor of Mechanical Engineering, UC Davis, Davis, CA.
6. John C. Coggshall, "Mathematical Models of Muscle", 1968. Research Associate at Yale University, New Haven, CT.
7. Leo W. Morrison, "An Engineering Analysis of the Fetal Cardiovascular System", 1969. Biomedical Engineering Consultant, Washington, DC.
8. Caswell B. Neal, "Estimation of the Parameters of Sampled-Data Systems by Stochastic Approximation", 1969 (Deceased).
9. Man T. Ung, "Hybrid Solutions to Parabolic Partial Differential Equations with Two Spatial Dimensions", 1971. Professor of Engineering Practice - EE at USC, Los Angeles, CA
10. James C. Maloney, Jr., "Estimation of Cardiac Output Using Respiratory measurements and Real-Time Computation", 1971. Engineer - Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., Pompano Beach, FL.
11. Gerald O. Burnham, "Synthesis of Mathematical Models of Driver-Vehicle Dynamic in Car-Following", 1973. Associate Dean of Engineering - University of Texas, TX.
12. Jinbom Seo, "Mathematical Models of Human Driver in Car Following Task", 1974 (Deceased).
14. Hans-Peter "Pete" Schmid. "Two-Dimensional Compensatory Tracking with a Tactile Display", 1976. Retired, former Division Director - Hughes Missiles Systems, Tucson, AZ.
15. Willis G. Downing, Jr., "A Unified Theory of the Causes of Maximum Expiratory Flow", 1976. Retired, former Professor of Electrical Engineering, Cal State Northridge, Northridge, CA.
16. Thomas M. Grove, "Cardiac Output Estimation from a Respiratory Model", 1977. Professor of Anesthesiology - UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA.
17. Chi-Wu "James" Chang, "Analysis of Human Gait Using Composite Electromyograms", 1978. President, Lyfsun Co., Santa Ana, CA.
18. Tasos Andronikou, "Identification of Nonlinear Systems with Hysteretrc Elements", 1981. Formerly Engineer with Rockwell Corp., Anaheim, CA.(Deceased).
19. Wissam W. Ahmed, "Computer Recognition of Cerebral Palsy Speech Using Nonlinear Mapping", 1984. President, International Cartoon & Animation, Anaheim, CA.
20. Fred Y. Hadaegh, "The Effects of Structural Error on Parameter Identifiability of Dynamical Systems", 1984. Member of the Senior Staff and Group Leader - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA.
21. Farrokh Abrishamkar, "Identification of Time Varying Delays in Linear Discrete Time Stochastic Systems", 1984. Engineer - Qualcomm, San Diego, CA.
22. Daniel J. Antonelli, "Motor Unit Deployment in Skilled and Unskilled Movements", 1985. Retired Professor of Physical Therapy - USC, Los Angeles, CA.
23. Howard B. Olsen, "Identification of Robot Models", 1986. Research Engineer - Optivus Technology, Loma Linda, CA.
24. Anastassios G. Chassiakos, "Modelling and Control Algorithms for Flexible Robots by Point Actuators", 1987. Professor of Engineering Technology - Cal State Long Beach, Long Beach, CA.
25. Huan Liu, "Knowledge Based Grasp Planning for Robot Hands", 1989. Professor of Computer Science - Arizona State University, Tucson, AZ.
26. Dit-Yan Yeung, "Handling Dimensionality and Nonlinearity in Connectionist Learning", 1989. Professor of Computer Science, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.
27. Danilo F. Bassi, "Connectionist Dynamic Control of Robotic Manipulators", 1990. Professor of Engineering Informatics, University of Santiago, Santiago, Chile.
28. Gerard Jounghyun Kim, "Design-For-Assembly (DFA) by Reverse Engineering", 1994. Associate Professor of Computer Science, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Korea
29. Patti Koenig Proctor, "A Model of Horse Locomotion and Rider Control", 1994. Member of Technical Staff - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA.
30. Arvin Agah, "Sociorobotics: Learning for Coordination in Robot Colonies", 1994. Professor - EE & CS, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
31. Murray Anthony Lewis, "Self-Organization of Locomotor Controllers in Robots and Animals", 1996. Associate Professor, Electronics and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
32. Joung-woo John Kim, "Gait-Er-Aid: A Three Level Diagnostic Knowledge-Based System for Gait Analysis", 1996. Currently a Protestant Minister, with a church in Simi Valley, CA
33. Gaurav S. Sukhatme, "On the Evaluation of Autonomous Mobile Robots", 1997. Professor, Computer Science Dept., USC
34. Alberto E. Behar, "On the Design of Sub-Kilogram Intelligent Tele-Robots", 1998. Member of Technical Staff - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
35. Michael J. McHenry, "Slice Based Path Planning", 1998. Consultant - Rossum Technologies, Los Angeles, CA
36. Ayanna M. Howard, "Grasping of Deformable Object", 1999. Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA.
37. James F. Montgomery, 2000. "Learning Helicopter Control Through Teaching by Showing", 1999. Technical Staff Member - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA.
38. Stergios I. Roumeliotis, "Robust Mobile Robot Localization: From single-robot uncertainties to multi-robot interdependencies", 2000 - Associate Professor, Computer Science Department, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.